Havering Museum opened in May 2010 in a building that formed part of the old Romford Brewery. Built around 1903-04, the building in Romford’s High Street, is the only section of the brewery still standing. The Museum occupies the entire ground floor to the left of the old Brewery Gates.
|Key Facts||Built 1903-04|
Romford Brewery began from the Star Inn brewhouse, close to the River Rom, purchased by Edward Ind and John Grosvenor in 1799. The Brewery ceased production in 1999 after nearly 200 years and closed completely in 2001. The Museum is a Heritage Lottery Funded project and an independent organisation run by volunteers and supporters. It is a Registered Charity No. 1093763.
Havering Museum collects and preserves objects which record the remarkable and long history of the London Borough of Havering, making them accessible to a wide audience through exhibitions, events and activities, education programmes, publications, web-pages, Facebook and Twitter. Apart from being the heritage hub of Havering, the Museum has developed a strong community identity, taking a pride in the achievements of local people, providing a huge range of opportunities for engagement in its work through volunteering, research projects and many other activities including a programme of events involving care homes, schools and youth organisations.
Location and Access
Access by car
Romford is just off the A12 and within a few miles of Junction 29 off the M25. Also easy access and signposted from the A127 and A13.
Access by public transport
Town has excellent bus and train connections to all local areas and London. Nearest railway station is Romford on Greater Anglia from Liverpool Street. From Romford Station turn left, go along South Street. At Market Place, turn left into the High Street and the Museum is 50 metres on the left.
Good wheelchair and disabled access to all areas.