Rainham Hall, built in 1729, opened to the public in 2015 following a major conservation and interpretation project. With engaging exhibitions, a new café and a nearly three-acre garden, there is something for all to enjoy.
|Key Facts||Built in 1729||Grade II* listed|
|Built in 1729|
|Grade II* listed|
Rainham Hall, the Stables Café and gardens opened in October 2015 following a major £2.5 million conservation and interpretation project. The Hall is a remarkably fine example of Queen Anne architecture and has been home to a richly diverse cast of characters. We’ve drawn inspiration from research about their lives to tell some great stories starting with sea merchant, Captain John Harle, who built the Hall in 1729. The dilapidated historic stables have been conserved and transformed into a brand new café for all to enjoy. The site is surrounded by an oasis of a nearly three-acre walled garden.
This Summer Rainham Hall will launch a new exhibition, open until June 2021, entitled The Denney Edition: Celebrating an icon of 20th century style. It focuses on interior designer, photographer, and art collector, Anthony Denney, who lived at Rainham Hall from 1964-1969.
Location and Access
Rainham Hall is located on The Broadway at the heart of Rainham Village and next to the beautiful Norman church, St. Helen and St. Giles.
Access by car
A13 (exit at junction for Rainham, Ferry Lane). Please note there are no parking facilities at Rainham Hall. Nearby pay and display spaces can be found in the village and close by the Tesco store in Rainham.
Access by public transport
Rainham station (operated by C2C services to London and Essex) is only a few minutes’ walk away. Nearby bus routes include Barking & Rainham (287), Romford & Rainham (103 & 165) and Lakeside Shopping Centre and Hornchurch (372).
Level access is available to the Stables Café via the main property gates. Level access to the gardens is via the gate on Wennington Road, which has a path connecting the lower lawn with the top garden and Café.