A Windmill dating from 1803 which has its original wooden machinery in place. In terms of quality, completeness and significance it is considered to be amongst the very best remaining English Smock Mills. A project to restore the Mill to full working order is under way.
|Key Facts||Built in 1803||Grade II listed|
|Built in 1803|
|Grade II listed|
Upminster Windmill is currently closed as it is undergoing an exciting restoration funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
A new Education and Training Centre has been built and provides a new space to welcome visitors as well as a workshop to maintain the Windmill. The Windmill itself will undergo a full restoration and be restored to working order by 2020.
Location and Access
The Windmill is on the North side of St Mary’s Lane Upminster opposite the Old Chapel and about 200m from Bell Corner Crossroads.
Access by car
The windmill is a short distance to the West of Upminster town centre on St Mary’s lane, North Side. If travelling from Hornchurch (A124) the Mill can be found on the North side of St. Mary’s Lane just before the top of the hill and Upminster Town Centre crossroads at Bell Corner. Travelling from the M25 exit at junction 29 and follow A127 towards Romford. Follow signs for Upminster on left. The postcode is RM14 2QL. There is no parking on site, there is a public car park at the New Windmill Hall (RM14 2QH) which is almost opposite.
Access by public transport
The Windmill is 10 minutes walk from either Upminster Bridge or Upminster Tube stations (C2C Mainline). Buses 248 and 370 also pass close by.
To the Visitor centre and Mill field.